Emma's on her way to 3!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 12, 2011

And there she goes again

I had to make sure I got this up before next week when my favorite (and only, but that's irrelevant) sister leaves the country for almost an entire year.  I don't know when she'll have internet where she's going, but she left this morning for Chicago for the week for prep before she leaves so hopefully she can catch this on her phone, but I wanted to put it up for everybody (i.e. the 3 people who follow the blog who don't even know her) to see.

Here's our attempt at a family pic from last night.  It was just a touch past Emma's bedtime.



My awesome sister, Becky, is a missionary and has gone overseas for a year in the past, but this time she's heading to a place where we can't even tell people because of the danger to Christians.  It's a heavily populated Islamic country where being vocally non-Muslim means potentially putting your life at risk.  Of course, her team is being safe and is prepared with emergency evac procedures and contacts and such, but still.

She's been watching Emma for one day a week basically since I started back at work after E was born, and I can only hope some of Becky's courage and boldness have rubbed off on my little one.  I certainly hope that Emma grows up with her aunt's sense of adventure, but most importantly her heart for God.

Sometimes I think that if it were up to me, I would just lock Emma up in her room until it was time for her to marry whoever we choose, have lots of babies (via immaculate conception, of course), and grow old and happy on a porch somewhere far away from any danger.  I mean, our kids are our heart just walking around outside of our body, so the safer the better.  Then, I look at my sister, and I hope that Emma grows up to be just like her...independent (to say the least), compassionate, adventurous, bold, courageous, beautiful, generous, and someone who puts God's will ahead of her own desires only to find that God's will is her desire.

Becky- if you actually are reading this I hope that your travels are safe and without complication, I pray that God allows miracles to happen through you and because of you, and that lives would be changed for eternity because of God's compassion and grace that is lived out through you.  While I know that we'll see you on Skype (and know that I'm just working out the kinks of the whole babysitting-via-skype situation...just when she's sleeping, right?), it's just not the same.  You already know the things that you'll miss by not being here, but we'll miss you too and I'm grateful that you're willing to make those sacrifices to follow where you know God has led.  You're the person I wish I could have grown up to be, so I'll just live vicariously through Emma who still has a chance.

You may be just the inspiration I need to update this blog more frequently.




Love you sister!!

No comments:

Post a Comment